In the previous post, we continued to share guidance for section 9 properties. The guidance is from the informal group on the revision of Section 9 of Annex 4, which met during the 26th session of the UN Sub-Committee of Experts on GHS on December 4-6, 2013. Section 9 of the GHS Safety Data Sheet (SDS) includes the physical/chemical properties of the product.
In this post, we continue to provide guidance for some section 9 properties.
- Generally at standard temperature.
- Indicate the solubility in water.
- The solubility in other (non-polar) solvents may also be included.
Partition coefficient n-octanol/water (log value):
- Not applicable to inorganic and ionic liquids.
- Generally not applicable to mixtures.
- May be calculated (using QSAR – Quantitative structure-activity relationship).
- Indicate whether the value is based on testing or on calculation.
- Not applicable to gases.
- Applicable to aqueous liquids and solutions (the pH is linked to aqueous media by definition; Measurements carried out in other media do not give the pH).
- Indicate the concentration of the test substance in water.
- Applicable to liquids only.
- Use preferably mm2/s as unit (as the classification criteria for the hazard class aspiration hazard are based on this unit).
- The dynamic viscosity may be indicated in addition. The kinematic viscosity is linked to the dynamic viscosity by the density.
- For non-Newtonian liquids indicate thixotropic or rheopexic behavior.
- Applicable to solids only.
- Indicate the particle size (median and range).
- If available and appropriate, additional properties may also be indicated:
- Size distribution (range)
- Shape and aspect ratio
- Specific surface area
In the next post, we will continue to provide guidance for additional physical/chemical properties of section 9 of the SDS.
If you are a subscriber and want to contribute to the blog, or if you have any comments, do not hesitate to e-mail us at email@example.com. Please specify the blog that you are writing about.
Photo by Jellaluna via Flickr